Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Things to Think






1. The other day my host mom said something close to,
"It is so weird to me that you don't speak Lithuanian  In the beginning it was different, you were a new guest and from America. Now, i know you and i see you are just human, but i feel like you should speak how i do."
I know I've said before that people are people no matter where you are, but it's still true. I don't know why but before coming here i had this crazy presumption that i'd be meeting this completely different species of people. With all the friends and "family" i've made here i'm so glad that's not true. The only difference is how strange it is that i can't understand what they say. I still catch myself staring in awe as my host siblings talk to each other and their parents. I know the tones they use and the emotions they show, but the words are all missing from my vocabulary. It's strange to hear my three year old "brother" complaining in Lithuanian and think that his language is normal. I think that's what host mom was saying. "It's weird that your normal is not my normal when i feel the same as you." The human experience is an amazing thing. I'm thankful for everyday i wake up able to live it. 

2. A sweet, older Russian lady came up to me and the head teacher at church on Sunday and said, "Your beauty is as Elvis or Frank Sinatra has to sing about for people to understand." We kinda chuckled and thanked her and she said, "No really. You look different, you know. The people here, they don't just smile. I saw you at the grocery store yesterday and i knew you were different because you were smiling. You are beautiful." 
The head teacher and i determined beauty is all in the smile and to smile more. You should as well, apparently it makes all the difference. 
(Example unintentionally provided by Kerry:)




2. Castles are really cool. No matter when they were built or where they are. Maybe it's just cause Disney taught me all about how important it is to be a princess and stuff. Regardless, they get a tad bit cooler (pun possibly intentional) if you can walk across a frozen lake to reach it.

 Or Bicycle across. That works too. 

 3. We started a new thing. It's called Mighty-Kebab-Monday. It's just a big burrito with pork,cabbage, and some typical Lithuanian garlic sauce. Every. Monday.

 4. Sometimes our children look like Einstein.  
4. Sometimes  Most of the time it's more fun to act like our kids.

5. Puppies. That's it.

6. How else are you supposed to put a duvet cover on? Someone please enlighten me on a better way. 
7. I've only got a month left. I'm starting to feel like that's not enough time. 

 8. For reason #7, make each sunset count. Wherever you are.



No comments:

Post a Comment