Sunday, January 27, 2013

Week number dos!

Yes, that is spanish. I actually said something in spanish the other day in front of the kids at school and they repeated me like it was english. Opps! Haha... I think my brain just goes multi lingual whenever I'm around people i don't understand. "Oh, you don't speak english? Bonjour!" It's a real problem.

Anyhow! This week has been awfully long. On sunday i got a fever that ended up turning into a bad cold which in between felt like my lungs were going to give out. Being sick in another country really stinks. All i wanted was some good drugs to knock me out and ramen. What i got was some weird riccola cough drop flavored natural cough syrup and lithuanian soup. And tea. Lots and lots of tea. I'm sure my host mom thinks it's a cure all. Bless her heart. She has a hundred reasons why i got sick. My favorite was when she told me i needed to stop drinking water cause it's cold and it's only good to drink warm things in the winter. She was very worried about me though and it was nice to know she wasn't gonna let me die or anything :)

So i've been getting over that cold all week and my lessons kinda took a toll. The kids seemed sooo energetic this week and i didn't feel like my lessons were productive or made sense to the kids. I'm certain being sick made them seem extra crazy, but it was a good humbling experience to try and chase them around the room and reenforce the "english only" rule, because i was certain they were using more than just lithuanian to make hilarious comments about me :) But even though they're obnoxious i can't get over how cute they are and how much i love them. They want to speak and be bright and say awesome things. Even when they all start in a round of "heyyyy sexy lay-day!" and i feel like giving up on the class for the day, one sweet soul will smile at me and say, "Tea-churr Wendy, if we be good can we pleeeese sing gangam style?" And i throw my hands in the air and say what the hay, why talk about our favorite food when we can sing gangam style? So i make them tell me how pizza smells and tastes and feels and then we all get up and dance before i try and recollect the class again. It's a process. But i can do this job :)

Other than being sick and teaching i haven't done much. My big excitement for the week was getting cleaning supplies to finally clean the shower. It was a big deal. Also, The weather has been a bit colder this week. Like it was 0 degrees pretty much all week. I even got the experience of frozen hair to prove it.

Anyhow. I would love to hear from you! I'm sure in conversation i'd have more interesting things to say so don't heaitate to send me an email or even just a mailing address so i can send you some cool mail! You know you want lithuanian mail... :)

Love ya!

P.S. The first two pictures are of when my host sister and her friend drew crosses on their foreheads, put underwear on their heads, and lured me and my roommate into the bathroom claiming to be nuns. They taped us to the wall and taped our mouths shut while they did demon voodoo. It was the strangest thing :) Picture 3 is of all the cards my kids made for me on the day i stayed home sick! They are the best!





No comments:

Post a Comment